The Add Reagents tool allows the user to add one or more reagents to one or more plates. Plates and reagents are selected by the user. This tool adds the same volume of a reagent across all wells that contain aliquots, excluding empty wells.
Input: One or more plates
Output: Updated plates with the addition of user-specified reagents
- (required) The plate(s) must already exist in inventory (Inventory > Plates)
- If the plate does not exist yet, use the header to go to Inventory > Plates > ‘New Plate’ or ‘Upload’ to create a new plate.
- (required) The reagent(s) must be listed under materials (Materials > Reagents)
- If the reagent is not listed yet, use the header to go to Materials > Reagents > ‘New Reagent’
- (optional) The user can specify a reagent lot when transferring a reagent to a plate. If a reagent lot is specified, the transferred volumes will be subtracted from the volume of the reagent lot. If the user chooses to simply select a reagent without specifying a reagent lot, the tool assumes that there is no limit on the reagent’s availability. To create a reagent lot, use the header to go to Inventory > Reagent Lots > ‘New Reagent Lot’
A simple use case: You have a transformation plate which stores microbial material that has been transformed with DNA material and grow for some time. Now you want to add some extra LB growth media to the plate for a new growth experiment. You would want to use the Add Reagent tool in this case.
The image below shows the content of a transformation plate before using the Add Reagent tool. You want to bring the volume of each aliquot to 100uL by adding LB media.
You can find the ‘Add Reagents’ tool under Tools > Tool Library. Click ‘Launch Tool’ to start using the tool.
The tool will walk you through several steps to add reagents to plates. You need to complete each step before proceeding to the next. After completing a step, the completed step mark (circle) will turn green with a check mark. You can always use the ‘previous’ button to go back to previous steps.
1. Select Plates: Click ‘Select Plates’ to select one or more plates from inventory by checking the box(es) next to the desired plate(s). Click ‘Select Plates’ to confirm your selection.
After selecting the desired plate(s), you can view the table of selected plates. To change the selections, click ‘Change Plates’, or click on the red trash can icon above the table to remove all selected plates from the list. To remove a single plate from the list, click on the red trash can icon at the right of that plate’s row. Click on the eye icon at the left of a plate’s row in order to see the plate map and listed contents. When satisfied with the selections, click ‘Next’ to go the the next step.
2. Add Reagents: Click ‘Select Reagents’ to choose one or more reagents from inventory to add to the selected plate(s) by checking the box next to the desired reagent(s). Click ‘Select Reagents’ to confirm your selection.
The selected reagent(s) will be displayed in the panel below. To change the reagent(s), click ‘Change Reagents’. To remove the selected reagent, click on the red trash can icon next to the ‘Change Reagents’ button.
To the right of the lower panel, click ‘Select Reagent Lot’ to indicate a specific lot of reagent that will be the source of these volume transfers. Selecting a reagent lot is optional. If a reagent lot is specified, the transferred volumes will be subtracted from the volume of the reagent lot. If the user chooses to simply select a reagent without specifying a reagent lot, the tool assumes that there is no limit on the reagent’s availability. Click ‘Select Reagent Lot’ to confirm your selection.
To change the reagent lot, click on ‘Select Different Reagent Lot’ button. To remove it, click on the red trash icon.
You need to specify a transfer volume for the reagent to be added to the plate. This tool adds the same volume of a reagent across all wells that contain aliquots, excluding empty wells.
Inputting a concentration is optional. Currently, entering a working concentration will add the information to the Additives section of an aliquot but will not be used in any calculations of diluting stock solution. Click ‘Submit’ to add the specified volume of the selected reagent to the selected plate.
Click ‘Updated 1 plate’ to view the plate that containing the added reagent. Note that the volumes of the aliquots now (100uL) are different from before adding reagent (54uL).
Double click on any of the blue wells in the plate map or any of the rows in the table view to view the detail of the aliquot. If you scroll down to the bottom of the aliquot page, the added reagent is noted in the ‘Additives’ section. Below image shows the information about the reagents that have been added to the aliquot in well A1. Note that there are two rows of reagents in the ‘Additives’ table. This means that the aliquot in well A1 of the selected plate already had 50uL LB (no reagent lot) before we added 46uL of LB from reagent lot LB_Jan222019.
Normalization Planning Tool